Visit Me At...


You may have noticed that I don't post here these days. I just couldn't keep up with two blogs at once. Read me, up-to-date, at www.EmergingChristian.com...

Saturday

Part Three: Ominous Sexuality

I met Scott in a cafe during lunch one day. I was reading another book about emerging forms of Christianity and he had been standing in line nearby. After ordering he moved toward me, appearing interested in my reading.

“Good material?” He asked.

“Yeah,” I smiled. “I can’t seem to read enough on this subject.”

“What are you studying?”

“Postmodernism and Christianity,” I answered. I offered the book for his appraisal.

“Interesting, I’ve never heard those two words used together,” he said, flipping through the pages and resting his eyes on the back cover. “I’m Scott,” he extended his hand and I shook it.

==Post Text Cut or Removed For Publication Purposes==

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you had any opportunity to deal with your discomfort with sexual issues related to gay people? Can you identify where this comes from and why it bothers you so much?

Adam said...

Being a theatre person, myself, I have in the past often worried about being thought to be gay by others around me, although no minister or deacon has ever asked me if I struggled so. Recently I went out to eat with two friends of mine who live together and the guy's cousin, who was gay. The girl thought it would be funny to let me know that he was calling me attractive behind my back and for a little while I was slightly uncomfortable. Perhaps the same way I feel uncomfortable when I'm with a girl who finds me attractive but to whom I do not respond in kind. After a little while I found myself joking with him and having a good time, although honestly I would have felt uncomfortable if it had been just the two of us. Cheers.

darker than silence said...

This is something that weighs heavily on my mind as well. I have known many homosexuals and bisexuals, but I've never really been afraid of them. I see them as people just as much as I see my college roommmate; they are just like us in so many ways, and they just want to be loved and treated normal, not treated like spiritual lepers. Granted, as I understand it, homosexuality is a sin, and I have talked to Christians who struggle with homosexuality and I sympathize with them. It is very hard for them and they want to change, but surrounded in an atmosphere of hostility, they don't change. They're afraid to move, afraid to ask for help, in fear of losing family or friends and having judgment and condemnation rained upon them. Like Christ, I just love them and encourage them in no "special" way, but with the love Christ calls us to rain on everyone we come into contact with. I hope that made some sense.

darker than silence said...

Correction: strictly speaking, homosexuality--the being attracted towards members of the same sex--is not a sin; acting on it is, because it violates God's original way of living, it's rebellion against God, yadda yadda yadda