Visit Me At...


You may have noticed that I don't post here these days. I just couldn't keep up with two blogs at once. Read me, up-to-date, at www.EmergingChristian.com...

Sunday

Post-Christendom: "I Used to Rule the World..."

I can't get these lyrics out of my head, from Coldplay's new album - so poignant to a fallen empire...

Viva La Vida
I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own
I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemies eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand
I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can not explain
Once you know there was never, never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world

* * *
please read more about my thoughts on the evolution of Christianity at www.EmergingChristian.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

i JUST listened to this album on iTunes, if listening to short clips constitutes listening to an entire album! What i did hear i REALLY LOVED.i even went back and listened to their last album, XY, again as i did not like it when it first came out. I never bought it. THIS time though, i loved it too. i guess it's like thinking through our beliefs/theology that they can evolve and hit us differently at different times in our lives!

i am going to buy both if i get an iTunes gift card for XMAS. It's on my list so i can hope! If it wasn't so close to Xmas, i'd go ahead and buy it. :)

Unknown said...

I love the sound of smile, is happiness made free.
But smile and lies, ne'er glad at all,
to watch it crumble, watch it crawl,
when to liars it is wed.
A night of sightly marriage dread.
But in its end a martyr,
honored only amongst the dead.

Goodbye falsehood, my sweet, my love,
I have no fear of thee.
You were my friend, my faithful spy,
but a tool that blunted me.

You were my heart in loneliness, my ever present vice.
We made it to each light warm day that left me cold as ice.
So to you I say, dear lie, good night.
Please spend your woe on someone else,

For smiles and tears within me swell,
Good night Good night,
I bid thee off! I bid thee off!
Farewell

For faith and hope have brought them hence,
and love has bore them through
In strength their gregarious wit their prose,
are like morning and the dew.

It is satan's sentence to year for me,
my heart to grasp, but ne'er to see.
And while tenaciously survive
to hate me still that I'm alive.

For love has pierced deceptions heart
a mortal sentence be.
And smile and tear are free once more,
to pure forever be in me.

by rick e.

And I love Coldplay