Visit Me At...


You may have noticed that I don't post here these days. I just couldn't keep up with two blogs at once. Read me, up-to-date, at www.EmergingChristian.com...

Wednesday

Lance Bass is Gay...

Look out, I'm turning into a blogger sensationalist like Perez Hilton!

But seriously, Lance Bass coming out of the closet today will doubtless have impact and ramifications related to Christianity and the church.

Why? Because, as any N'Sync fan knows, Lance Bass was always the most vocally Christian of any of the boys. Open an N'Sync album cover and read his extended writings on faith, God and Jesus Christ!

What concerns me is that Bass will take a lot of angry, ungracious fire for his lifestyle and decision to be open about it. In fact, several of his quotes have already dealt directly with his faith: he is still a Christian, and has personally reconciled his Christianity with God.

Now regardless what you think about homosexuality, I hope you share in my prayers that the Church will somehow manage to be more gracious, loving and compassionate than it usually is about such matters, and if nothing else - keep silent. We dont' need picket signs. We don't need pastors decrying his potential influence on the youth of America (not like Lance Bass or N'Sync have any pop equity leftover from early 2001) .

Lance has made a decision. And a prayerful one. I pray he finds happiness and wholeness, and in friendship, I would say the same thing to him that I would say to any friends, gay or straight, Christian or non-Christian: "Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness." We're all on a journey here, and none of us living have crossed the finish line.

But lookout. I don't expect public Christian figures to be particularly loving.


please read more about my thoughts on the evolution of Christianity at http://emergingchristianity.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Glancing Girl said...

It shames me that you are aware of what the liner notes read on N'Sync album covers...

Peter said...

Sweetheart, you KNOW I went through an N'Sync phase in college. They're really quite talented.

Anonymous said...

I always knew he was gay... I didn't know he was a christian...